That's disgusting. Period.

My friends and I have spent twenty years talking about our periods: when we're 'on'; what our flow is like; how often we change our protection; which protection is best- there is no topic blood- related we don't discuss.

Until one day, I uttered the word, 'Mooncup'.

I may as well have punched one of their children in the face. They looked at me like I'd just come and 'periodated' (a common verb used in our friendship group) on their favourite bedding.

No, no, no, was the universal response I got. One of my friend's husbands, an unwilling participant in most of our period- related conflabs, actually told me, no, warned me NOT to discuss 'Mooncup' or its equally 'disgusting' sister 'Shethinx' on my blog or Insta for fear of freaking out all the 'normal' people who may read it.

Unfortuantely for Mooncup, (and other similar products, which are internally inserted to collect menstrual blood and then emptied into the toilet bowl, then reinserted) rumour had got out that the user/wearer/inserter/periodator (yes, also a noun) then must wash the 'device' in the dishwasher after each cycle.

Of course, that's simply not true and a quick rinse in sterilising solution will do.

So, if it's not getting washed next to your favourite wine flutes and it reduces the number of disposable sanitary products floating around in our sewers and oceans and the £20 silicone cup will save you on average £28 in its first year alone, then what is so minging about 'Mooncup'?

Surely, as educated and conscientious as all the thirty-something women I know and love are, we must at least give eco-friendly alternatives a go, right? Whether it's using applicator-free tampons, not buying individually wrapped panty-liners or buying a Mooncup, us women have an added duty to the planet- and therefore maybe even the moon (cup).

;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The beginning:

Communal Living: Londoners in their thirties share their pain and sometimes joy, but mostly pain.

The diary of an accidental vegetarian