Top Ten gift ideas for the women in their thirties who have it all

The women in my life are so important. University friends, neighbours, colleagues, cousins- I always seem to be surrounded by strong women who I love. I am also lucky enough to have a massive group of  'London Ladies' (yes, that's the name of our Wattsapp group chat) with whom I grew up. The number keeps increasing each year as (except for the one Prince born into the group) we only seem to be able to produce little women. Having a twin sister means female companionship has always been what I know.

Between us we could rule the world: nurses, teachers, OT's, managers, producers, directors...there is no end to our talents. Having worked hard all our lives and despite living in the most expensive city in the world, we all have a good quality of life and have pretty much everything we really NEED.

So what do I buy for the women who have it all? I've come to an age where I don't want to give them more STUFF. I want my gifts to inspire them, not indulge them.

So I've come up with a list of ten gift ideas for the ladies in our lives who don't need more clutter, jewellery or things. 

1) Reusable hot drinks cup. Keepcup, with its cork hand grip, is so stylish and the glass ones are so pretty! Perfect eco-friendly gift for our commuting companions! www.uk.keepcup.com

2) Bar of soap and pretty soap dish- a subtle hint to ditch the liquid soap habit even on your friend's birthday is acceptable, right?! Some Lush soaps smell divine and last for ages! Teaming it with a stylish soap dish makes this the ideal gift. A google search turns up loads of options; from a pineapple shaped Matthew Williamson one to eco- friendly bamboo and breathable- there's one to suit everyone.

3) Glass straws. Mine have coloured tips and are the perfect addition to every thirty-something's kitchen drawer. Strawgrace do them or if you fancy bamboo or metal you can try www.plasticfreedom.co.uk - they sell so many plastic free products (including make-up!) which are great as presents.

4) Laundry ball- this is exactly what I gifted my friend, Laura this year. She is obsessed with her washing smelling good. So I wasn't sure how it would go down as it basically washes your clothes with rocks! However, like me she's said it has made her think about where her beloved fabric conditioner ends up and she will alternate using this in a light load as well as her usual washing routine.

5) Safety razor- www.anythingbutplastic.co.uk sell a wonderful gift set filled with everything you need to ditch your plastic razor habit and for only £24.99 (and all of it arrives in plastic free packaging too!)

6) Make-up Eraser. A friend of mine stock- piles face wipes and whenever they're on offer she rams her bathroom cabinets full of the things. This year, she's getting one of these Make Up Erasers. Pop them in the wash at the end of the working week and I'm sure she'll never need to buy disposable face wipes again. www.makeuperaser.co.uk

7) Night cream. I absolutely always ask for night cream at Christmas because it's something I use every night and let's face it...teacher, mother, almost 34, my crow's feet definitely have more SQUAWK than they used to! It's a shame that most supermarket night creams come in plastic pots. www.whiterabbitskincare.co.uk do a lovely vegan one and although at £35 for 100ml, you may decide to go halves with another friend, the pot is an aluminium tin  (£1 is also donated to ME Association with each pot sold- win, win)

8) Cotton bunting. Personalised gifts are all the rage aren't they? Get your BFF's tradition kick started by getting her first flag embroided with her birth date.

9) Pretty shopping tote. Help a sister out by buying her a fold away tote for her handbag. There's nothing more annoying than getting to the till with arm fulls of last minute impulse buys (basically, wine and crisps if you're one of my friends) and forgetting your reusable shopping bags are at home.

10) Reusable water bottle. My absolute fave at the moment comes from Italian brand 24bottles. Their colours are so nice and there's something out there for everyone! Commuting on the Tube, spinning at the gym or walking the dog, everyone needs water at hand. Plastic bottles are sooo last season. www.24bottles.com

The first friend I ever had when I moved to London once gifted me stamps for my 12th birthday. In her defence, I had asked for them. (Back then we still wrote real letters and I had a penpal in Swansea!)

The practical Virgo in me really has never left the building.

Why don't you find the inner 12 year-old in you and decide to ditch gifting clutter in favour of something more useful and ever-lasting- just like the friendship itself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The beginning:

Communal Living: Londoners in their thirties share their pain and sometimes joy, but mostly pain.

The diary of an accidental vegetarian